posted on 8:49 AM, March 23, 2007
- When using the roadway the law considers you a wheeled vehicle and you must observe all traffic signs, especially stop signs and traffic signals the same as cars.
- At night you are required to have front and rear lights and a red rear reflector.
- You must wear a helmet.
- Using a Walkman while cycling is illegal and dangerous. You must be able to hear as well as see potential hazards.
- Don't ride in crosswalks or on sidewalks except in areas where it clearly permitted eg. On bridges or the Stanley Park causeway. Give the right of way to pedestrians.
- Use a good bike lock and lock up the frame and wheels. A strong U-lock is recommended. If you have a quick release saddle or other items either lock them up or take them with you.