posted on 8:47 AM, March 23, 2007
- When going to your car have your keys ready. Quickly check outside your car and look inside before entering. Once inside lock all doors.
- Avoid carrying too many packages. It makes it more difficult to check your surroundings. Ask stores to assist you to your car with packages.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Lock all valuables in the trunk when you leave your car.
- Leave nothing in view. Even a cheap pair of sunglasses or loose change for parking left in sight is a tempting target for thieves.
- If you are approached by a stranger make sure your doors are locked. If you feel threatened sound your horn intermittently.
- If you believe you are being followed do not drive home. Drive to a service station or busy public area and sound your horn.
- If your car breaks down and you have no cell phone, raise your hood, lock your doors and wait for the police or a service vehicle.
- If a stranger approaches and offers help or a ride home do not get out of your car. Lower the window slightly and ask them to call a service vehicle.