posted on 8:53 AM, March 23, 2007
- Never give personal information over the telephone unless you have initiated the call. Many scams are based on calls from "bank inspectors" asking you to verify account numbers or PIN numbers.
- Be cautious about giving credit card information on the internet except to trusted companies over a secure connection.
- Beware of callers saying you have won a lottery and just need to send some money to pay for the administrative costs or taxes before you can be sent your winnings.
- Con artists are constantly coming up with new ways to separate you from your money. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably a scam.
- Trust your instincts. Don't be pressured. Ask for a number to call back. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is important enough that it can't wait while you verify a few facts.