posted on 8:51 AM, March 23, 2007
- Keep perimeter landscaping to a minimum and shrubs trimmed so they do not give an assailant somewhere to hide.
- Lock up ladders and tools so that can not be used to break in to your house.
- Install outdoor security lighting.
- Install deadbolts with a minimum 1" throw.
- Do not leave spare keys under doormats or flower pots. Thieves know all the usual hiding places. Leave a spare key with a trusted neighbor instead.
- Install peepholes in all exterior doors.
- When you go on vacation temporarily cancel newspaper subscriptions. Have a neighbor clear up any newspapers of flyer's so that they don't accumulate on your doorstep. Have a neighbor or professional lawn company cut your grass while you are away. Put lights on timers. Have a neighbor park in your driveway.